Halloween is supposed to be a scary time of year with ghosts and goblins running the streets requesting candy. Houses are decorated with cobwebs and graveyards and there is always someone ready to jump out and shout “HAPPY HALLOWEEN!” But, one thing you should definitely be terrified of during Halloween is drunk drivers.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) states that 52% of all traffic crashes on Halloween were due to a drunk driver, and even pedestrians weren’t safe. Innocent kids trick or treating were involved in 36% of fatal Halloween crashes due to drunk drivers.
That is a lot of people who are just trying to have a good time whether its kids trick-or-treating or adults enjoying a halloween party. Some of the most dangerous drivers are those who are just “buzzed” from a beer or two and think it’s perfectly safe to drive.
There are a few things you can do to help prepare and keep safe for a fun halloween:
- Designate a driver or make sure you get a taxi, uber, etc.
- If you spot a drunk driver on the road, call 911 and report that driver immediately.
- Make sure your little ghosts and witches are reflective and do not run out in the street. Consider adding reflective tape to their costumes.
- Check candy before you let your kids eat it.
- Keep your pets in a safe spot so they are not scared of the constant stream of guests.
BE SAFE AND HAVE A GREAT HALLOWEEN – FROM THE LAW OFFICES OF FRANK D’AMICO.